Site tracking

Monday, November 8, 2010

Rugby Game


Here in New Zealand, ruby is a huge deal. They get as excited about it as Nebraskans do about Husker football. A while back, I was able to go to a live game and it was super fun! The teams were Waikato vs Canterbury. Waikato is the name of the region I live in and Canterbury is in the South Island and includes Christchurch.

I went with Deborah (German) and Scott (Australian)
I guess the mascot for Waikato is a cow because of the large amount of dairy farms here. Here is the main mascot and some little kids with cow heads on riding in the back of the truck at the opening of the game.

One of my favorite parts of ruby is when they throw the ball in and the teams lift their guy up to catch it. I'm sure it has a technical name but I have no clue what it is.

After the game, everyone went onto the field and we got to meet some of the players. We wanted to get pictures with them even though we had no clue who they were.

Here is a Waikato player with me and Deborah. I'm pretty sure their shirts have a cartoon of a waiter serving a beer....

Here we are with a Canterbury player. This dude was huge!


Another Waikato player who I have no clue who he is

And another...


And here we are with some of the French rowing team because the World Rowing Championships were in Cambridge so there were lots of internationals a few weeks back around town.

It was a super fun time and reminded me a lot about watching Husker games. Oh, and Waikato won!! whoohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment