Site tracking

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Bible Study maddness

Ok, sorry for not blogging since August 4th. I've been keeping my head in books as I've done two Bible Studies these last two weeks. So far I've completed 3 and the last one that I did I presented to my family group during the time we meet together. It was about 4,000 words and included Greek word definitions, scripture references, illustrations and my favorite part, a creative idea. I now have a new respect for pastors who have to do stuff like this weekly for sermons and juggle all the other responsibilities they have.

This will be a short post but I wanted to fill you in on my last couple of weeks. Sorry if it's a bit choppy.

I gave my testimony on the 11th in front of everyone which was really cool. I get pretty nervous talking in front of people but everyone said I looked really natural and they couldn't tell I was nervous so thank goodness for the Holy Spirit!

I started my ministry last week which is Bible In Schools (BIS). Me and a kid named Brayden teach a class of 7-11 year olds each Friday for half an hour. It's pretty cool to be in a classroom and be able to teach a verse and talk about Jesus. We have a book we use for our curriculum but the first week we got to do whatever we wanted and just get to know the kids. We played a game where all the kids told us about themselves which was really fun. The kids were all really fasinated by the fact that I came all the way from America. I showed them how far away Nebraska is from New Zealand and they all said "wow" and then I told them I walked the whole way here and their eyes got really big but quickly caught on that I was joking. We ended with a game of Simon Says that I led. The last thing I have them do was "Simon Says say 'we had a really really fun time today'" and they did so I just said "aww thank you, we had fun too". It was really funny. Oh, and their little accents are AMAZING!

Last weekend I mostly hung out with the girls and went into Hamilton the closest city. We would just explore and did a lot of window shopping. It was fun singing in the car and just being dorks.

This past week seems like a blur. My Bible Study that I presented was on Romans 8:22-30. It's a passage that has SO much good stuff in it and it was hard to break it down to just a 40 minute Bible Study. My general theme was "Through the Holy Spirit we are being made more like Christ."

Our guest speaker this week was a guy named Clive Wilson, a paster here in New Zealand. He was incredible and I took tons of notes. His main theme was Living like Christ. We went through passages in Luke and it was cool because he would challenge us to read it like we had never heard any of the stories before. One of the illustrations he used was he showed us 2 pictures side by side. Both pictures were taken looking out a window. One, the camera was focused on the spots on the window and the other one the camera was focused on the view. He related this to how we can focus on what's right in front of us instead of seeing the big picture. He said to focus on eternal things which are God and people.

I've been reading a lot and since we have a library here I figured I would take advantage of it. I wanted to read some autobiographies and since 90% of the books we have are written before 1970 I knew I would find something interesting. I ended up reading "Confessions of a Contemporary Jew" and "Black and Free". They were both actually really good. One was about a Jewish-raised Christian and the other was about an African America pastor who came from Harlem and at one point was the gang leader of about 120 guys. I don't think I'll ever get sick of reading about the transformation that Jesus does in people's lives. It's so incredible.

Thanks again for everyone who has been praying for me. God has been showing me how much I need Him to love people and how big He is. I also have really really enjoyed getting into the bible on a more academic level.

Prayer Request:
- Praise on getting my Bible Studies done
- Prayer for my two week break and planning that
- Prayer for time management. I'm still finding it hard to fit everything in.

No comments:

Post a Comment