Site tracking

Friday, August 6, 2010

Getting into the swing of things

Well this last week I was a busy bee working on my first Bible Study assignment. We all did one on 1 Timothy 2:1-7. Mine ended up being about 8 pages and around 3,000 words. I worked really hard Monday and Tuesday and finished it on Thursday. It was funny because as I was finishing mine up some people were just starting and it was due on Friday. I really enjoyed digging into the passage and looking up words in the Greek. I don't think I would have the discipline to do a project like that back home so it was cool to have someone kind of force you into it. it's interesting to think that I've never really studied the scriptures on my own before. I either read books about the bible or listen to people talk about the bible or do bible studies done by someone else. I don't think any of that is wrong but it's so cool to actually look stuff up for myself.


We also had a visitor from the other New Zealand Capernwray school last week. Her name was Jen and she does missionary teaching at the other school. She talked to us about being a missionary in Africa for three years and her testimony of how she came to know Jesus. It was really encouraging. One of her quotes that I liked was "If you are not a missionary, you are a missions field". Her point was that if you are a Christian, you're a missionary. You don't have to live in a third world country to be one.


On Wednesdays each week we have work days where we help out around the school's campus with various jobs and I've been lucky to help out with graphic design. It's been a real blessing to work on projects for the school and continue to use my skills. I work with Elizabeth Thomas, our principal's wife who is super sweet and fun.


On Thursday we had family night where we hung out with our families and played games and stuff. My family and another family went out to the field by the ABS lodge and played dark games. We were in the area of really tall trees and played different games in the pitch black. It was so much fun and the stars out there are amazing.


I've also been waking up early and going to a prayer meeting in the mornings before breakfast which has been a super great way to start my day. There's only about three of us there each morning and we read a chapter in the bible, then pray and then close with a psalm. I like starting my day out early and focusing on what's most important. We meet in the Homestead Lounge which is in the main house and has a nice fireplace that gets used all the time. Nothing like having a cozy fire for prayer time. Maybe that's why back home at CCC our staff prayer was always in the "fireside room." :)


Prayer Request:

- Praise we got car insurance for pretty cheap

- Praise I was able to talk to some people back home on the phone last week.

- Prayer for the two week break we have in about a month in a half. People are already trying to plan stuff out and I don't know what Michelle, Frank and myself will do.

- Prayer for being consistent with running. Last week was hard to fit it in with all the studying.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, i posted this once but then had a typo so i am re-posting it.

    Her point was that if you are a Christian, you're a missionary. You don't have to live in a third world country to be one.

    ... i feel like that is something i have been repeatedly hearing lately. :-) i love that.. because if we think the only way to be a missionary means to live in another country, we will miss out on the opportunities now to be missional to the people around us.

    i'll be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete