Site tracking

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Funny Stories


I really hope these are just as funny for you and don't get lost in the typing translation.

Bible Quiz:
Randomly as I was sitting on the porch of the Homestead, I was asked by a girl here if I wanted to participate in a Bible Quiz that her church (we are all assigned churches to attend while we're here). I've never seen a Bible Quiz and had no clue what was entailed but I figured "why not" so I said yes. I then learn that their church had been going through a book for the last 100 days that goes over huge amounts of scripture. The Bible Quiz was the churches fun way of celebrating the end of this 100 day journey. None of us had done even a day of the book. The only reason why the students who signed up did was because one of our staff here signed up with a team of people and they wanted to beat him. His name is Glenn and our team named was "Beat Glenn". Pretty original. So after they had rounded up enough people (about 6) we decided to not prepare at all. It would be more fun to see how much we knew without doing any studying beforehand, or so we thought.

The day before the Quiz I found out that we needed to bring a dessert. We were going to try and make something but that didn't exactly work out so we defaulted to buying something. We figured it would be fitting that the least prepared team bring a store-bought dessert. So as we rushed to get there on time (which we didn't) we stopped and bought the cheapest desserts we could find, a couple of chocolate cakes that looked like giant flat chocolate cupcakes. I know my dad would be proud of the sweet deal we got on them. :)


Once we got to the church, late, we realized that it was not a dessert buffet like we had thought but each team just eats their own dessert. Bummer. Then we realized that the desserts are actually part of the competition and you get bonus points for how good your dessert is. Bummer again. We didn't get very many bonus points and they didn't even try our dessert.
We also tried really hard with the questions but lost. Not just lost but got dead last. We had a great time losing though.

So Lesson learned: Losing can be really really fun. Hahaha, or maybe the lesson is that you shouldn't enter a competition you are absolutely unprepared for in every way and expect to beat anyone.

Frank Prank:
Ok the second story. On Wednesdays we have "work days". Which is when we all pitch in and are assigned odd jobs around campus to do for a couple hours. It's pretty fun and we joke around quite a bit while working. This last week my job was washing off our walkways we have around the buildings with another student. I got to spray everything down with a hose and so when Frank was walking by I jokingly acted like I was going to spray him. I didn't actually get him wet but I got close enough to freak him out. It was so funny watching him jump when I would spray right next to him.

A little later as I was busy working Frank came up and dumped a bucket of water on me. Not that much but still I knew it was on and I had to get him back. I figured option A was to get him with the hose but that would be hard because I wasn't really using it at this point. Option B was to get him with a bucket of water but again this one seemed to take a lot of energy and I was tired from working. So I went with Option C which was to convince one of the staff to pretend that he was in trouble for getting me with the bucket of water and freak him out.

I talked to our cleaning lady (facility care person) Annalor who is actually also my mentor. She can be tough but she's really sweet once you get to know her. I asked her if she would help and she agreed. She went up to him where he was cleaning and asked him if he had in fact gotten me wet and Frank replied "no." Hahaha, I love how he immediately reverts back to responding like a 5 year old would. She then gave him the "Come, on, really?" look so then he says "Um, ok, ya I did but she got me first" Hahaha, again a classic response. She told him that it was unacceptable behavior and that he needed to come talk to her later.

He was so freaked out that he came back to me and apologized and was asking me why I told on him. I told him that I didn't think he would get in trouble. It was so funny to see how scarred he was. It was really hard not to laugh. Finally Annalor said she felt bad and had to tell him the truth so she did and he took it pretty well.

Nothing makes Work Day go fast like an old school prank.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like lots of fun...I can just imagine you laughing a lot :) thats great!!! thanks for the posts, it's encouraging to read what you and our Father are up to :)

    i just started a blog, inspired by Ty asking us what we would love to blog about, so now i will be following yours closer and posting comments :)

    greatcommission-md.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete