Site tracking

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Rotorua Trip

Rotorua is a very popular place to visit if you are in the North Island. It's only about an hour and a half from Cambridge so lots of family groups go there or people take trips but it wasn't until the very end of school that Leah, Hannah, Jodi and I realized we were the only ones who hadn't been. So we solved that by going our last free Friday night.


Lonely Planet says this of Rotorua, "Breathe in the sulphur-rich air of Rotorua and you’ve already got a taste of NZ’s most dynamic thermal area with spurting geysers, steaming hot springs and exploding mud pools."


Breathe in is right. It's a weird smell and it's strong. Here I am in City Center next to some of the boiling mud pools.



Here's a close up of the steamy boiling mud. It's makes super loud Bloop and Blop noises as the bubbles pop. I guess the mud is suppose to be really good for your face and they actually make mud masks out of it which I'm told are amazing.



My favorite part of our visit was going to 2 natural hot springs. One of our teachers helped give us directions and they were so fun. The water really was super hot like a hot tub and the scenery around it was bright green, as most of the North Island is.

I'm glad I finally got to go but I have no idea how people live there. The smell would drive me crazy. I think next time I'll skip the mud pools and go straight for the hot springs.

No comments:

Post a Comment