Site tracking

Friday, June 18, 2010

God's grace

I've had some time to reflect on the journey God has taken me on these last few years. The overall theme has been God's grace.

College Ministry
I was not even close to ready or qualified to lead a small group in the college ministry at CCC four years ago. Through God putting it on people's hearts to take a chance and His grace, I was able to be a "leader-in-training" for about a year and co-lead the next. After co-leading for a year I transitioned to coaching small group leaders, which I've done for the last couple years. Getting into leadership was a way God pushed me to take the steps of faith that I had felt lukewarm about before. It has been full of overwhelming and deeply joyful experiences with people. I now see how important prayer is with leading or mentoring and how little it has to do with you telling people what to do and not to do. It was a shift for me when I saw that people need prayer and love first and guidance second.

Graphic Design at CCC
Likewise, God planted me here at Christ Community Church as the graphic designer way before I was qualified. My boss, Nick Kelly, still jokes about how he would probably not hired me but since I was all ready working part-time when the previous designer quit he took a chance. My design skills have improved immensely working at CCC. I believe I've had a designer's dream job. The variety of projects and team I've worked on are incredible. Most of all, by God putting me in a work environment with all Christians it helped me find my identity in God at a time when I was living 2 different lifestyles and not being consistent.

Compass Ministries
This one is pretty funny. Six years ago I got in trouble and had to do some community service and someone in my small group suggested I check out Compass. Again by God's grace, they let me help out at their Kids Church on Sundays. After I was done with the community service I still wanted to come each week. I think I learned more each Sunday at Kids Church than I did anywhere else those first years. The messages were so simple and since I never went to Sunday school, it was the first time I was hearing them. I also fell in love with the kids. I went down there thinking I was going to help them when in fact, they have changed me forever. Seeing the circumstances they grow up in but still maintain their innocence is nothing short of amazing. And they're hilarious.

The list goes on and on and on. As I embark on this adventure to New Zealand I definitely feel under qualified. But as God has shown me over and over, He doesn't need me to be qualified because He is. He just asks for my obedience and trust.

Prayer Request:
- Praise for the overwhelming support and love I have felt from fellow staff at CCC
- Continued prayer for freelance projects to be able to be completed.
- Prayer for packing. That I would be a blessing as I leave the home I live in and for wisdom for what clothes and stuff to bring to NZ (I know, I'm such a girl)

No comments:

Post a Comment