Site tracking

Friday, September 10, 2010

Earthquake

I've gotten a lot of emails and facebook posts about the earthquake so I figured it would be worth blogging my thoughts and stuff on it.

The earthquake's magnitude was 7.1 and happened around 4:30am last Saturday in Christchurch. Here at school we don't have the best updates on news so I actually found out from a fellow student who found out from our principal calling into the school that morning. Peter Thomas our principal had already called down to the other Capernwray school that morning and heard that everything and everyone was ok down there and knew that since the quake was international news people's parents and friends would most likely be contacting them. Sure enough, I went online and had already received emails about it.


Another student (Ben Reshey) made this image to show how far away we were from the earthquake. We didn't feel it at all.

It's crazy to think about how much damage was caused by the earthquake and how it could have easily happened when we are traveling to the south island on two week break or somewhere closer to school. It makes you realize how you can't depend on anything but Christ.

It's interesting how sometimes we think, "Oh, well at least I have Jesus" but to have Jesus as your personal savior is to have everything. Being here and traveling on weekends, I continue to see how HUGE God is and how crazy it is that he cares about each individual person. As I live in this small community with people from different cultures and very different personalities I am super humbled by how selfish I can be and how I can't do anything without the Holy Spirit.

I've been praying alot for the people in Christchurch. I don't just pray that they would feel better or everything would be ok, but also that they would get a bigger picture of their need for Jesus and see how unreliable stuff in this world is.

Thanks for all your concern for me when you heard about the quake and for your continued prayers for me over here! I can't tell you how much I appreciate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment