Site tracking

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Ministry Week Part 1

Last week I was busy doing “Ministry Week”. It is a week where we go out into the community and put on tons of different activities partnering with local churches. We also get to stay with a host family all week.

Sometimes ministry week is in a town far away from Cambridge where our school is located but this semester we teamed up with Cambridge churches and stayed pretty close to home. It was really cool because we all go to different churches on Sunday so we already know some of the people here.


The first Sunday of ministry week we had a combined service with all the different churches in Cambridge and I got to share my testimony in front of everyone. I was getting sick so I didn’t feel good and I was super tired. I prayed and prayed that God would speak through me because I had nothing to give. Sure enough, He did and it was really cool to talk in front of everyone. I didn’t even blush. It’s cool to see how God has been giving me more and more confidence with speaking in front of people.

We are each assigned a team and each team works together all week on various ministries and are associated with a particular church. My team was lead by Hadassah, our missions teacher and my church was Raleigh Street Christian Church. The different stuff we were involved with were Bible In Schools, Youth Night, hanging out with Alternative Education (AE) kids and helping in the garden at the church and Cambridge High School.


Raliegh Street church reminded me a ton of CCC. It’s like CCC with only 300 people on a Sunday. They have a great staff and were super great to work with. The AE kids (about 6) have their own section of the church that they rent from Raleigh Street that includes a small gym and we spent a lot of time in there. To be in AE you have to have gotten kicked out of every high school in Cambridge. The AE guys loved playing basketball and we taught them the game “Knockout” and they wanted to play over and over and over. We cooked with them on Thursday afternoon, which was cool because it gave us some time to really get to know them.


Bible In Schools was a blast as well. I already am involved with this on Friday mornings at one particular school, but with ministry week we went to about 6 different schools. We taught them a song, put on a skit and had them learn a memory verse each time. New Zealand kids are so stinking cute! They’re little accents are absolutely adorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment