Site tracking

Friday, July 16, 2010

Auckland day 3



Here's the front of the hostel I'm staying at. It's nice and quaint. The window on the right looks into the lounge which is where I spent most of day 2 in Auckland. It was down pouring most of the day and even though Emily (hostel roommate) and I made it out and about for a little while it was lovely to just sit with a great book and hot tea and relax for the rest of the day. But today the weather was looking more promising so I decided to explore Auckland a little more on my own.

I woke up pretty early today and had some great quite time with God this morning. I began doing a study on 1 John chapter 1. Even though it was only over the first 4 verses, it reminded me how big God is and how all things were made by Him. I love starting my day reading the Bible and praying. It gives me chance to give God my schedule and let Him lead the day.



First stop was at a coffee shop for a Flat White (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_white) and time to look at my map from a book Gabe gave me when we saw each other. It had a walking tour of Auckland so I modified it a bit and headed out.



Ok these two buildings crack me up. The top is an Asian grocery store that looks nothing like the picture on the side of the building. I do love how they use chalkboards to write the specials, a lot of grocery stores do that. The second is also funny. I'm sure Kiwis walk by and shake their heads at the stereotypical sheep, llamas and scenic landscape.


I then went to the Auckland Art Gallery. It was pretty cool. I love art galleries, especially when I go by myself. I totally lose track of time because I get absorbed in the art. I like to examine the painting to get a feel for how the artist made the art. I was also able to stop in some other smaller galleries nearby, which were cool.


Next was Albert Park. It had a variety of plants and statues. It's located by the University so I saw lots of people walking in the park and sitting on benches eating their lunch.

The center of the park had a beautiful fountain. Here is a lady sitting and feeding the birds, straight Mary Poppins style.


The park had these ENORMOUS trees. They reminded me of the trees in the Rainforest at the Henry Doorly Zoo. The branches were as thick as most tree trunks.

Then off to the Harbor. It was really nice to go by the water. It was the first time I really felt like I was in another country. With the city and all the shops, it kind of feels like I'm just on vacation (or holiday as the Kiwis say) in the states.





These clouds were amazing. The sky looked so big and then with the water it was just glorious. God is so stinking creative. I love when I get to stop and appreciate his creativity. I was so thankful that He stalled the rain while I was out by the Harbor.


My lunch at the Harbor. It consisted of water, peanut butter and bread. I know you're jealous ;)

But this was the view that I had while eating my lunch. I could see the massive rain cloud coming in and really far in the distance you could see it raining. It rained a little today on the way back to the hostel but thanks to my sweet rain jacket (thank you Nick for helping me get it) and my water proof computer bag that I used as a purse it was no big deal. I also got an umbrella yesterday at the NZ Mission store for $3 NZD.

By the time I got to this hill I walk up to get to Queens street, the skies were clear and I took this picture of the CBD, Central Business District with the Harbor off in the distance.

All in all it was a wonderful day.

Praise and Prayer Request
- Continued prayer for new roommates at my hostel since the two I had left today
- Prayer that I make great friends at Bible School
- Prayer that I would be able to have good internet to connect with people back home at Bible School

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're having a blast so far! YAY!! That's awesome that Gabe and Evan surprised you, i'm sure that made the first couple days a cake walk to be there! I know that God is going to use you in so many ways now, while, and after you're in bible college! You're pictures are great and I cannot wait to hear more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of a "flat white" before, but I LOVE wet cappuccinos...especially on gray days. Such a lovely way to start a day..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, you so funny. I wish I was wandering around with you instead of running on the treadmill in stinking hot Omaha, Ne!
    Your hostel mate looks like she is fun! Tell her I say what up?!

    ReplyDelete