Site tracking

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Time flies

Since being done with work, I've had lots of time to relax, reflect and spend time with friends. I leave in 9 days and it seems like each day comes and goes faster and faster.

The thing that I'm most excited about when I get to New Zealand, is experiencing God in new ways and seeing what He wants to teach me while I'm over there. You know when you've been friends with someone for a while but then there's that one conversation when you realize you have way more in common than you thought and that you're going to be friends for a long time? I think that's what I mean when I say I'm excited for my relationship with God to go to a deeper level. Even though I feel like I have a solid relationship with Jesus there are aspects to my faith that I can tell I was just "talking the talk". Dropping everything and moving has pushed me to "walk the walk" in so many areas of my faith especially trusting God and not worrying about the future.

One lesson that has been freeing for me is that I can't screw up God's plans for my life. If I'm pursuing Him then I'm just not powerful enough to mess up His plans. He works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28, paraphrased). God doesn't need my help. In fact sometimes when I'm trying to help Him with His plans, most of the time, I end up getting in the way and making the whole thing about me instead of surrendering to Him and letting Him work. I picture a little girl helping her mom make cookies. The little girl wants to help but most likely she'll end up making a giant mess and the cookies get made despite her "help", not because of it. But it's not about the end result, it's about the fun you have making the cookies. And I'm sure as I've been going through this journey God has gotten some good laughs at me trying to figure things out and watching me make plenty of messes.

Verses that have spoke to me the last couple days:
Don’t be afraid, for I am with you.
Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you.
I will hold you up with my victorious right hand. - Isaiah 41:10

Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you your heart’s desires. Commit everything you do to the LORD. Trust him, and he will help you. - Psalm 37:4-5

No comments:

Post a Comment